Monday, February 2, 2009

What's Good With the Abundance of Movie Remakes?




If you haven't seen the recent trailer for the upcoming Friday the 13th movie, it looks like it may be ok. But for those of us who are 1970's and even early 1980's babies, know that this is obviously a remake of the 1980 classic. Is Hollywood running out of ideas that they have to resort to all these unnecessary remakes? I also heard there's a remake in the works for another 1980's cult classic The Last Dragon. Now please someone tell me why is this movie of all movies is being made over?! It was already a low budget successful film in its own right. Now why go and mess that up? And then of all things have an all star cast who lacks acting skills. So back to Friday the 13th. It's definitely coming out in a couple of weeks just in time for Valentine's Day. I'm only assuming because Friday the 13th will actually fall on a Friday. Let's not forget the slasher flicks of the 70's and 80's that had all of us shaking with fear and trembling. That was a time when horror films were just that. They were scary and intense and always left a feeling of suspense with an actual plot. When the first Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween and even Friday the 13th first had its runs, they all had a story behind it's villain and hero or heroine. Then when the multitude of sequels followed, the quality of the films and the plots left much to be desired.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By bksis

Who can top Robert Englund as Fred Kreuger?-cha boo


So with that said, will Friday the 13th live up to the hoopla and the little bit of clips that are shown in a 30 second commercial spot during AMC's Friday Night of Fear? Probably not, but then again I'm no movie critic. But it seems that time and time again, remakes don't always surpass the original film. King Kong was remade twice. Each version was good, but personally I did like Peter Jackson's version. Godzilla was remade many times and had many different spin off movies. The 1998 remake was ok, but give me Godzilla from the 1950's circa. I just finished reading that there will be a remake of Nightmare on Elm Street!! Please someone tell me who New Line Cinema will get to play Freddy? Is there no creativity in Hollywood? Why oh why would they remake Nightmare on Elm Street? How is New Line Cinema going to pull this off? I would rather see another sequel than a remake.

Now the remake of Halloween by Rob Zombie was decent, but let's not get carried away here with Elm Street. Maybe I should just dig in the crates and pull out those dusty vhs tapes and watch Elm Street three times to remind me what the 80's horror films were like. Maybe just maybe I will feel a little at ease. Wes Craven needs to speak up about this! I would hope at least he will have some input in the creative process. Robert Englund has to be pushing 60 now, I think he's too old to be running around in a dirty sweater with his rusty claws. Please if this remake is set in stone, Freddy come and get me in my dreams and take me away now! Kill me now! lol. but for now I will have to see what this remake of Friday the 13th is looking like. Here are the two trailers from the original 1980 movie and the current trailer that comes out next weekend. The original does look a little corny, but we all know that the first installment of the original series was the business!


Friday The 13th-1980 circa



Friday the 13th 2008 circa-why does he have on a hockey mask? #1 inconsistency

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

  1. I miss Fred Kruger he scared the wits out of me when I was young..

    ReplyDelete